Sports Premium report
The government currently provides funding to schools through a Sport Premium Fund. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
The Association for Physical Education suggest that funding is to be used to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. This may be in a variety of ways. Their suggestions are:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sports clubs
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and holiday clubs
EM Sports Premium evaluation for 2019-20 – coming soon
SWIMMING AT ENGLISH MARTYRS
Year 5 children attend weekly swimming sessions at a local pool during the Spring Term (terms 3 and 4).
Each year around 15%-20% of the children are complete non-swimmers before the course begins. At the end of the course they are presented with certificates to show the proficiency level that they have attained.
In Spring 2020, Year 5 were unable to complete the full course of swimming sessions due to Covid-19.
In Spring 2019 67% of the 64 children in the 2018-19 Year 5 cohort demonstrated that they were able to:
• swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
• use a range of strokes effectively
• perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
The 2018-19 Year 6 cohort completed their Year 5 swimming course in Spring 2017. Of the 62 children on roll in July 2019, 5 had joined the school since that date. Of the 57 who took part in the swimming course when they were in Year 5, 64% demonstrated the attainment listed above.